Monday, January 25, 2010

Be Stupid. .... really?

I struggle with the new diesel campaign: Be Stupid.

Check it out:


It strikes me as trying too hard and not really that original an idea. I understand that they are attempting to push consumers into thinking differently and with a different perspective of what is stupid but I just couldn't agreed with them, though the music is catchy. Perhaps because I'm not the diesel target? Or did they just miss the mark?

Diesel claims that Stupid is brilliant, has the stories, the balls and creates. I struggle mostly with the idea that Stupid is how this gets done and "Don't be stupid is the crusher of possibility". I think being stupid is the crusher of potential and opportunity...

I decided to trot on over to Dictionary.com to look up the meaning of "Stupid" to see if my internal definition was skewed... it wasn't:

stu⋅pid

–adjective

1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.


I've thought about this campaign for about a week and I still don't like it but perhaps I'm just near sighted or closed minded or..... STUPID? (though I guess in their eyes that would make me brilliant?)

Here is their online landing for Be Stupid: http://www.diesel.com/be-stupid/

No comments:

Post a Comment