Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl 2010 Ads: WIN and FAIL

Ahhhh the Super Bowl. Where diehard football fans and advertisers meet up for chips, beer and big screen entertainment.

I realized, if you have the right mix of people, there should never be a bathroom break line - the people into the game go at ads and the people in to the ads go at the game. Genius.

I would be going during the ads.... if Canada got the super fun US ads. Thank goodness for the interweb, where I can spend the better part of my Monday morning watching all the US ads that we miss north of the 49th parallel (it also means I can take a "break" whenever I want without fear of missing something). Check out all the ads HERE.

On to the ads. I have posted what is, in my opinion, the BEST and the WORST.

The BEST: Google.
Watching this spot incited such an emotional reaction that I felt like I was at the end of a well written romance. Google hit the nail on the head with a simplistic love story. The spot showed the capabilities of Google, a search engine, while telling an increadible tale of a man moving to Paris, learning the language, falling in love, getting married and having a baby with just their search field. They even captured common spelling mistakes and the ability of Google to still understand what you meant. A story in 30secs, without a face, name or verbal dialogue.

This is the kind of spot I dream of making.



The WORST. Watch the spot and you'll understand. They've spent millions of dollars on an ad that is pointless and tries way too hard to be funny. Crappy ad + wannabe funny = FAIL.

No comments:

Post a Comment