Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bringing page to life

Nike Lunarglide+ "Actually, it is rocket science"

The plain (almost boring) Nike print ad I found on the back of my Women's Health mag instructed me head on over to nikirunning.com to experience it in 3D.... Naturally, I was curious as to how an ad in a magazine could be 3D. Once there I was told to hold the page to my webcam, hesitantly (and in the privacy of my home so as to not incite thoughts of insanity from my peers) I lifted the page to my screen. Instantly the image jumped to life in 3D and could be rotated, split apart and switched from men's to women's. Pretty neat for a plain ol' print ad!

Bringing this page to life meant I stayed on the Nike site for much longer than I intended and searched through other pages to see what other tricks they might have hiding under their laces!

Even though I didn't purchase anything from them that day they were still, in a way, successful. I, the consumer, saw their ad and was intrigued enough to followed it online. Once there I was happily entertained through clever online technology and decided to spend even more time with their brand! So, no I didn't buy anything, BUT yes, I did build a deeper connection with their brand and have passed what I saw on to you.

If you want to check it out online there is a how-to video on nikerunning.com that shows a demonstration: http://nikerunning.nike.com/nikeos/p/nikeplus/en_US/products/lunarglide?blogSource=en_US#/experience

And from a consumer's perspective, here's what I found on youtube:


Pretty neat way of bringing print to life and driving online traffic ... so what's next?

1 comment:

  1. I heard about these a few weeks ago, however, they were going to run live video adds actually in the magazine with special screens and a powere source hidden somewhere, similar to greeting cards that play music. Only tests were going to be done in select magazines, but it's cool to think that adds will now be able to actually 'show' us how products are meant to work.

    ReplyDelete