Monday, September 21, 2009

Your Facebook and your Mom....

If you're like me and you had a friend request from your mom to be your Facebook friend, you may have put it off for a little while as you debated the thought of letting your mother in on your "personal life". If you're still like me a "while" would be approximately 6 months until she asked you point blank why you won't be her friend and in a well played guilt trip you give in and accept.

Now your mom is on your Facebook. Shit.... I mean... shoot.

I've always thought of Facebook as a place for my friends, never a place for my parents to creep around and ask "what happened to you last night?".... eek. I had pictures, posts, interests and favourite quotes - some I'm sure wouldn't garner the highest favour from my mother. Then I thought "Great now I have to think about my status updates... did I swear?"

After some thought, I realized that my "personal life" was in reality a "public life" and if I don't want my mother to see it, chances are, I probably don't want the majority of the world seeing it either. Recently, I've had more and more conversations with people about the privacy of online social media networking sites and the general consensus is that there isn't any. Once something has been posted on the internet, it's there for good and anyone can see it. We're still relatively new at this interweb thing and there's so much more to learn and discover. (If you have the time, there is an awesome video on www.ted.com about the first and next 5000 days of the internet.)



So, anyway, in my brief moment of insight, I didn't put my mother on limited profile.

It's been about another 6 months of my mother being my friend and nothing has really changed. I may one of the few lucky ones though....

Check out this funny site for some of the not-so-lucky ones:
http://myparentsjoinedfacebook.com/

And just for good measure check out the top 4 awkward Facebook likes (including one from a mom) on College Humor:
http://www.collegehumor.com/article:1791517

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's only retired or stay-at-home parents that spend the time creating and utilizing a Facebook account. Plus how many friends do they have on there? 20? 50? Definitely not the 600 average us Facebook pioneers seem to have accumulated since it launched earlier this decade!

    ReplyDelete